Tuesday, May 10, 2005

 

Making Mommy proud of me (BETA)

Mommy phoned me right when I was in the middle of lunch (brie salad triple decker combo sandwich on rye, hold the pickle, extra sauce and a side order of fries) to ask me whether she should put Adsense on her website.

This is something I've been thinking about since I started my Blog. I mean you get paid for the ads but I don't really like the idea of not having control over who I might link to. Also taking money for showing ads seems kind of icky - Company X has an ethos that we work for the good of mankind and I try and do that all the time. I was talking to Arthur in Laundry about this and he pointed out that really I should put links on my site anyway, so people wouldn't want to click on the links which earn me money, so I could show ads but not make money from it, which is the best of both worlds. That's a good point. I'm going to tell people about that.

Anyhow, I looked for information about advertising and stuff and I found this great book called Truth, Lies and Advertising ( Jon Steel, ISBN: 0-471-18962-6) which has some good comments in it - although right on the first page he says some things I don't understand ("The consumer isn't a moron"? That wasn't what I learnt in PR 101? Must run that past Larry and see what he thinks).

So I told Mommy that Adsense is brilliant but that she should be thinking about enhancing her user experience and not be all selfish and care about making profits. She went a bit quiet after that and I think she was thinking about how proud of me she was because her voice sounded all funny and she said goodbye really quickly like she was going to cry. I love making Mommy proud of me.

Comments:
"So I told Mommy that Adsense is brilliant but that she should be thinking about enhancing her user experience and not be all selfish and care about making profits. "

Marissa, that is the kind of comment we should all be making. Company X sounds really cool.
 
howdy Blogger , were you the one who told me about adsense secrets ? inquiring minds would like to know as adsense secrets seems AWESOME!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? By peddling very hard on an excercise bike at my desk (somebody's got to)

* Unreal, pretend, not true. Marissa, or indeed any Marissa, did not write this. This is a joke, a subtle dig at a company similar to CompanyX.